So, the stats continue to roll on Fear of Girls:
- 327 people saved the link on del.icio.us
- We broke the Top Ten most popular links over at Bloglines, coming in today at number nine.
- Our hit count on Google Video has topped 320,000. (We racked up 140,000 Sunday and Monday alone after slashdot.org picked us up.)
Responses to my acting tend to fall into two camps:
- Man, that's over-the-top! Too much mugging!
- Hilarious! What's scary is I know guys just like this!
One of my friends said "I would like that video better if you weren't trying so hard to seem like a geek, Tom. To me, the fact that you are a highly esteemed dungeon master yet still have social skills and good hygiene is more intriguing."
And that is more intriguing. But I don't know that it's as funny.
The vast majority of gamers I know are also smart, funny, likable people with good hygiene. But that's not what FoG is about. It's a comedy about two losers who are trapped so deeply in their imaginary world that they can't relate to the real one.
I think the payoff for gamers who see it is that they have a glint of recognition ("Oh man, I've run into THAT guy at a con.") but they see the over-the-top stereotype and go "Heh. Yeah, that's not ME, that's for sure!"
And the good news is: it's not them.
-Tom, who's also run into that guy at a con.